JEANNE REARDON - Attorney at Law

Delivered by FeedBurner

Recent Posts

What does the "on or about" closing date in my contract to purchase a home mean?
Real Estate Contract Mortgage Contingency Clause
Why a Home Buyer Needs Title Insurance
Joint Ownership of Real Property in New York


Capital Gains Tax
Closing Costs
Condos and Coops
Home Buying and Selling
Home Mortgage Refinance
Homeowner's Insurance
Loan Modification
Making Home Affordable
Real Estate
Real Estate Closing Costs
Short Sales
Title Forms
Title Insurance
Types of Ownership of Real Property


March 2020
October 2018
September 2018
June 2018
May 2018
February 2018
November 2017
April 2017
February 2017
January 2017
May 2016
April 2014
February 2014
January 2014
January 2013
August 2012
June 2012
March 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
July 2011

powered by

Real Estate Law Blog

Homeowner's Insurance

Master Policy and Insuring Your Condo or Co-op

The master policy provided by your condo/co-op board covers the common areas you share with others in your building such as the roof, basement, elevator, boiler and walkways for both liability and property damage.  If the roof of your condo gets damaged, for example, and water leaks into your unit, the master policy would cover the roof repair but not the individual repairs to your unit for damage to things like the ceiling, walls, carpets or furniture.  In addition to property damage, the master policy will have liability insurance for common spaces, such as lobbies, hallways and sidewalks. 

As the unit owner, however, you will need to purchase a personal home insurance policy (type HO-6).  The building's master policy does not protect your personal belongings or offer liability coverage for occurrences within your unit.  Your personal insurance policy will provide coverage for damages to your unit and your possessions, and additional coverage for living expenses if you are the victim of fire, theft or other disaster covered by your policy.  Your policy should also provide for liability coverage.  This way, you will have coverage for accidents that occur within your unit.  If someone falls and injures himself in your unit, your policy would provide the liability coverage, not the building's master policy.  

To adequately insure your unit, it is important to know which structural parts of your unit are covered by the master policy and which are not.  You can do this by reading your association's bylaws and/or proprietary lease.  If you have questions, talk to your condo association, management company, insurance broker or real estate attorney. 

Be aware of the deductible on your building's master policy.  If there is damage to the common spaces, every unit owner will be required to contribute money to reach the deductible.  If the policy actually covers some damages that are specific to your unit, you will have to reach that deductible yourself.  As a unit owner, you would want your personal policy to cover the difference between your individual policy deductible and the master policy's deductible, if you are required to use the building's insurance for something like a burst pipe.

Finally, make sure your policy has coverage for unit assessments.  Unit assessments are fees charged to unit owners to pay for repairs to common areas or property.  If your building is damaged by an insured disaster, and the cost of that damage is not fully covered by the master policy, this type of coverage would pay for your share of an assessment charged to all unit owners.